Agosto 23, 2017
                    Contac Us | Web MailNews | Sitemap | Spanish | English 

Historical Review

   

The story tells of the first use of the estuary called Puerto Pilo, after Puerto Machala (1783-1860) who served as a former landing of vessels and was the link for the first traders between Machala and Guayaquil.

At the rise of cocoa production and sedimentation of Puerto Pilo, "Was imperative the development of Machala Port" because their authorities considered looking elsewhere for a new port that would provide better facilities for loading and unloading of passengers and goods to and from Puna Island and Guayaquil.

The City Council decided to form a new port in front of the Jambelí Island (1861-1883) Puerto Huayla as it was called the new port.

In 1879 the Machala Council decides build a dock at the Port of Huayla

  
    Inicial
     

On December 18, 1883 proceeds to inaugurate El Puerto de Bolívar untill the called Puerto Huayla, as well as opening up a report of the laying of the railroad that would come to Machala.

On April 13, 1887, it was possible to enable Puerto Bolivar as Major Port of the Republic, is contracted the build of an iron pier with a railway terminal, a mobile crane made of steel and bronze, an iron tower with searchlights. On May 9, 1902, it began the operation of the COASTAL CITY PIER, which together with the rail constituted the first intermodal transport link between El Oro and Guayas.

Agricultural development of the province especially in the banana gave a new twist to the economy and to the need for new docks for maritime transportation to overseas markets, between 1964 and 1968, was built the breakwater and their complementary works.

  primer-muelle-2
     

In 1970 was created the Port Authority of Puerto Bolivar, to take charge of the operation and administration of International Seaport, by Executive Order No. 1043 of December 28, 1970, signed by the Constitutional President Dr. Jose Maria Velasco Ibarra and published in Official Gazette 147, January 22, 1971. Operations began in March 5, 1971.

In 1984, mooring lines were increased with the new marginal wharf of 360 meters long, which together with the old, can berth four ships simultaneously.

 

muelle-1964

     

Today Puerto Bolivar put forward to progress with the construction of a modern multi-purpose terminal of 240 meters by 100 of platform, a structure that will have all the facilities in equipment and gantry cranes that will enable the arrival of vessels up to 14, 00 meters at the lowest tide.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  1938